Sunday, April 29, 2012

CatCam Probes Philosophical Puzzle: What Is It Like to Be a Cat?

CatCam Probes Philosophical Puzzle: What Is It Like to Be a Cat?:
My girlfriend Valerie loves videos of animals, especially cute ones, like baby hippos , talking porcupines , lionesses that nuzzle baby antelopes. Wanting to share her delight, Valerie insists that I look at her computer to check out her latest discovery. Being a cold-hearted jerk, I typically mutter, “Yeah, that’s nice,” scarcely looking up from my own computer, where, chances are, I’m Googling myself or brooding over comments on this blog.
I reacted in this way, at first, when Valerie told me about a 16-minute film, CatCam , showing at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York City, about a camera-wearing cat. If a video stars a cat, my interest is less than zero. I’m a dog guy, and there are already too many cute-cat images clogging the internet. Valerie persisted, pointing out that the cat had produced some cool images.
[More]