Thursday, April 18, 2013

How to Make Kids Smarter and Ease Existential Terror

How to Make Kids Smarter and Ease Existential Terror: A few months ago, I logged on to Lumosity.com to play my daily dose of brain games. The company had given me a free, temporary account so that I could try out their system as part of my research for an article I was writing on brain training. My then 11-year-old son wanted to play, too. It looked like fun, he thought. Plus, he liked the idea that the training might make him smarter. But I had been tracking my progress--and yes, steadily improving my performance--through my own account and I didn't want his scores meshed with mine. (If he upped my scores, I might never log a personal best again!)[caption id="attachment_1373" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="The menu for Cogmed working memory games. Courtesy of NCS Pearson."] [/caption] [More]