Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Parents Who Cook: Tamami Haga

Tamami of Coco & MeParents Who Cook: Tamami Haga:

Tamami Haga, photographed by Andy Andrews.
Tamami Haga is a Japanese Londoner and passionate baker who sells her handmade chocolates and pastries from a stall at Broadway Market in Hackney, East London. She also writes the lovely blog Coco & Me, which I've been following for years and years, and mixes her experiences as a stall-keepers with inspiring -- and precisely written -- recipes. I love her Luxury Brownies in particular. She is currently working on her own cookbook.
Tamami is the mother of two children, and I am very happy to have her as a guest for the Parents Who Cook interview series. Please welcome Tamami!
Can you tell us a few words about your children? Ages, names, temperaments?
My son Issei is nine and my daughter Sakura is four. Issei is a kind, sensitive kid who might tut if there's rubbish on the pavement and would pick it up, then put it in the bin nearby. He is also very clever.
Sakura is a very funny girl and loves to come up with her own lyrics to famous tunes. She is very skillful with her drawing. And being Japanese, she says "Aww, cu~te!" and "Kawaii~!" rather a lot.
Did having children change the way you cook?
Yes, it's totally changed! When I was single I couldn't care less about the "five veggies/fruits a day" stuff. I never bothered with eating breakfast for example. Imagine a twenty-something, going for a pint or three in a pub after work... that was me!
But now, it can't be "eat anything at anytime," obviously. I try all the time to notch up square meals for the family. But you know, I don't find it tiresome or a bore to cook anyway -- I keep it interesting for me by trying new ingredients, new skills and new recipes. Just last weekend, I cooked ox cheeks for the first time! I slow-cooked them for two hours and the result was meltingly soft.
The food might turn out wrong at times though, and the children may turn up their noses. But they critique it with me and will always tell me, "Well done mummy for trying." And with that, I think, "Well, at least I tried" and at least they see that I like a challenge. Hopefully that approach to challenging things and also to keep on trying will rub off on them.
Sakura
Tamami's 4-year-old daughter, Sakura (with homemade bear cub doughtnut)

Continue reading "Parents Who Cook: Tamami Haga"
View comments

Copyright Clotilde Dusoulier © 2003-2012. This feed is for personal enjoyment only, and not for republication.
If you are not reading this in a news aggregator, the site you are viewing is guilty of copyright infringement. Please alert Clotilde Dusoulier.