Sunday, April 14, 2013

Why grad schools should require students to blog

Why grad schools should require students to blog: Approximately one month ago, I fell into a rabbit hole - the rabbit hole better known as Writing My Dissertation. I'd been working toward that point for five years and counting, through seminars and conferences, experiments and literature reviews, conversations and late-night therapy sessions with an open statistics textbook and eyes full of tears over yet another beta or epsilon that I couldn't for the life of me comprehend. But here it was: the home stretch. The final product of years of loving--and sometimes not-so-loving--labor. And partway through another all-nighter (I was working under some tight deadlines), I had an epiphany: thank god I've spent the last few years blogging, writing a book, and doing freelance journalism. Otherwise, I'd be lost. Truly.[caption id="attachment_2553" align="aligncenter" width="640" caption="Alas, not what I looked like as I worked on my dissertation."] [/caption] [More]